How to take care of bleached and dyed hair at home?
Changing hair color is a trending fashion statement these days. To change hair color, one must strip off the natural hair color so that new color can be deposited. Hydrogen Peroxide is the main ingredient that is used to strip off natural hair color. This chemical is very harmful to hair and scalp therefore after bleaching and dyeing our hair needs extra care and protection.
Firstly, it is of the utmost essential to use products that are sulphate-free and enriched with extra conditioners and butter. Then the right products and taking the right steps to keep bleached dyed hair as healthy as possible.
- Get yourself a Keratin Hair Treatment to use at Home – Bleach also rips off moisture and protein from our hair. Get a Keratin Hair Mask and apply it liberally on hair from top to bottom till the ends. Leave for 2-3 hours and rinse with water. The hair relaxers that one gets in the market are different than this. Those are chemical treatments with sodium hydroxide. While choosing Keratin Hair Mask please look that it should be with natural ingredients and should not carry sodium hydroxide.
- Cut your ends regularly- Depending on how fast your hair growth is, it’s the ends that look lifeless, unattractive, and dull therefore it is essential to chop these ends frequently.
- Make a Hair Conditioning Egg Mask – Eggs are wonderful in giving hair extra protein. They give volume, soften, and smoothen the hair. The yolk of an egg is best used for dry hair and the white for oily hair. Eggs can also be combined with oils to be applied to the hair. The only drawback is the smell which can put off many. Take a full egg and add a tablespoon of olive oil to it. Beat it well. Apply it from roots to the ends and leave for 30 minutes. Rinse and Shampoo.
- Bananas are extremely beneficial for damaged hair. They are rich in fiber, vitamins, and proteins something essential that your hair and scalp. It is the most simple hair mask to make. Simply peel a banana and mash it well to form a paste. Add a few drops of milk to increase the spreading. They are rich in potassium, natural oils, carbohydrates, and vitamins, which help soften the hair and protect the hair’s natural elasticity, preventing split ends and breakage.
- Cold-pressed vegetable oils such as olive oil, mustard oil, sesame oil, coconut oil, blackseed oil are commonly found in our household and are excellent for nourishing our hair and scalp. Coconut oil is well known for its benefits to hair and scalp. These oils can be used alone or as a blend also. You can add essential oils also to these.
For example, hair oil blend-
- Olive oil: 30ml
- Sesame oil: 30ml
- Coconut oil: 30ml
- Lavender oil: 1ml
- Rosemary oil: 1ml
It is always beneficial to use cold pressed oils and make oil blends at home as it does contain paraffin oil and strong perfume
- Avoid putting the hair under heat – When we bleach, we have already burned the natural color from our hair. However, using heat on top of bleaching hair on a regular basis doubles the damage. In order, to properly care for bleached hair, avoid using heat every day.
- Avocado Hair Mask- Bleached hair is in a desperate need for conditioning Mask. Take a Ripe Avocado, add an egg yolk or full egg and blend it well to make a conditioning smooth creamy paste. Apply it to hair from top to the ends. Leave it for 30 minutes and then Shampoo using a mild sulphate free shampoo.
- Herbs and Vinegar – Herbal extracts, including infusions, vinegar, and oils are wonderful preparations to improve the condition of hair and scalp. These are especially beneficial for dandruff control. The herbal vinegar not only re-establish the acid pH of your scalp and hair but also infuse the beneficial therapeutic properties of the herbs in the vinegar. Herbal vinegar can be used regularly after shampooing and conditioning. They also help minimize the build-up of hair products in the hair.
It’s not just bleaching the hair that can damage the hair. Using too much heat on hair or hair relaxer (straightener) or washing regularly with harsh shampoos can also damage hair. Those with bleached hair should remember to use a microfiber towel and pat dry hair. They should avoid over brushing and always remember to use a hair strengthening serum every day
Inputs by Ms. Pooja Nagdev, Aromatherapist, Cosmetologist, and Founder, Inatur