Blood donation is not a charity but a service towards humanity, which must be acted on like a duty. Blood donation is an extremely noble cause that must be performed willingly.
However, a lot of people forget the precautions that one must take before considering the option of donating blood. Not everyone is fit for this purpose and it’s high time that people must understand this before putting anyone else’s life in danger.
Given below are a few things that one must definitely consider before heading for a blood donation.
Things to consider before donating blood:
· It’s not a job fit for everyone:
Most of the people considering blood donation as a noble cause hardly give a thought about their features. These features might or might not be fit for blood donation. Some of the characteristics that place a restriction for blood donation are:
- The person wishes to donate blood must not be younger than 18 years. However, in some countries, 16 year is the minimum age criteria for people interested in donating blood.
- There are weight and height restriction for people wanting to go for blood donation. Make sure you ask the doctor about the criteria before heading for blood donation.
- Pregnant women should completely abstain from donating blood as it might cause a risk to the infant’s and the mother’s life.
· Blood donation is not entirely risk-free:
Some people consider blood donation as easy as a cakewalk, without any type of risk associated with it. However, there are a number of minor risks associated with blood donation and people wanting to go for blood donation must consider these risks.
Some of the minor risks include:
- The person will experience iron deficiency afterwards as the blood loss leads to a loss in the iron amount present in the body.
- There are also chances of getting a sore arm or a bruise after a successful blood donation process.
· Diet concerns:
Most of the people indulged in blood donation start keeping a check on their diet only after the blood donation process comes to a halt.
However, a person with a poor diet regime has higher chances of getting eliminated by the doctor for donating blood. Poor health is definitely not an incentive for the doctor to perform the blood donation process, as it might put his medical license in danger.
Proper diet structure is required prior to the blood donation as well as afterwards to regain the lost iron content in the body.
· Certain health conditions are not fit for blood donation:
People wanting to donate blood often fail to realize that their health condition might not be fit for it. By doing so, they are not only risking their own life but also put someone else’s life in danger.
Some of the prominent health conditions that are barred from blood donation include:
- A person suffering from fever or breathing problem must not head for blood donation until he/she is declared fit by the medical professional.
- A person who is checked as positive for tuberculosis must refrain from donating blood at all cost. Even if the person is going through a treatment procedure, it is advisable to not consider blood donation.
- If you have a history of STDs, then completely abstain from the idea of blood donation. If you are too obsessed with donating blood, then consider approaching a medical professional for expert suggestions in the matter.
· The upper limit is no bar:
A lot of older people usually refrain from donating blood as they are unaware of the criteria of an upper age limit. They usually have the opinion that elderly people are not fit for donating blood, which is a false assumption to make.
Blood donation can be done by anyone who is above 17 years of age but there is no maximum age bar. People can consider the option of blood donation at any stage of their life, except for anyone below 17 years.
· There is no rule of having knowledge about your blood type:
A lot of people abstain from blood donation only because they are clueless about their blood type. Blood donation camps are up for any blood type because they need to maintain a supply of all possible blood types. They are responsible to make sure that no blood type is refrained from being collected. In addition, anyone who is interested to know the blood type can simply ask for it at the camp.
· Blood donation is a price for the beautiful life that one is enjoying:
Not everyone has access to all the opportunities in the world. Blood being donated by an individual might help to save a person’s life, which is the noblest cause of all. You don’t always have to be a rich person to help other people.
This article has been contributed by Mr. Satkam Divya, CEO, KlinicApp. KlinicApp is one of the fastest growing and trendsetting e-diagnostic company, bringing affordable lab tests with standardized services at the doorstep of patients/ consumers.